University graduate left with "catastrophic" brain damage after unprovoked attack by drunk stranger


A murderer has been jailed after flooring an unsuspecting victim with one jab leaving him with a catastrophic head injury in the street.

University graduate Matthew Webber was Nautical port brain damaged after the unprovoked attack in Liverpool city concentrate by a drunken stranger.

Unsuspecting Webber, 29, was floored by a single jab by Joseph Musumeci, 28, outside Heebie Jeebies nightclub on August 8 aftermost year.

Liverpool Crown Court heard he lay unconscious on the ground after affliction a “catastrophic” injury when he smashed his head on the vement.

Doctors put him in a medically cajoled coma following the attack, which happened at the junction of Seel Terrace and Colquitt Street at around 2.55am.

Forensics: police officers on the segment outside Heebie Jeebies bar in Liverpool

Read more: Thug commuter attacked train manager with full unopened beer can after being sought for ticket

Graham Pickavance, prosecuting, said Joseph had already belted Mr Webb, while his younger brother, Jordan Musumeci, 22, had assaulted the fair game’s friend Nicholas Breadcake.

The brothers fled after kicking and haymaker ‘Good Samaritan’ Nathan Davies, who gave chase after Joseph floor Mr Webber.

Jailing Joseph for 40 months, Judge Neil Flewitt, QC, communicated: “Your attack on Matthew Webber was not an isolated incident but was rt of a track of conduct of anti-social behaviour and violence.

“What you did to him has changed his life forever.”

Joseph, of Meaden Way in Bognor Regis, and fellows of his family had come to Liverpool, where Jordan lives, to celebrate their mum’s birthday.

Joseph go oned to be aggressive when he arrived at the hotel where his mum and sister were staying.

Mr Pickavance whispered he then racially abused a member of staff who was attempting to help him.

Mr Webb and Mr Breadcake had about to the city for a reunion with other university friends.

Unprovoked approach: police probe the crime scene in Liverpool following the incident

Arbitrate Flewitt said CCTV footage showed Joseph was “extremely pie-eyed, confrontational and aggressive even before he encountered his victims”.

After communicating something to the victims, Joseph tried to get into Heebee Jeebies but was rejected entrance.

Following a confrontation with door staff he walked off and encountered Mr Webber and Mr Breadcake.

He then plugged them, as did Jordan, who had initially acted as a peacemaker.

Joseph was seen by a sser-by “sneakily” management around the back of a taxi to catch Mr Webber off guard and strike him a efficacious blow.

Read more: Pensioner, aged 76, punched often by thug as he lay helpless on floor

Bystander Nathan Davies who ran after the fellow-clansmen was then chased by them, knocked to the ground, kicked and punched.

Mr Webber forth two weeks in a coma and a further two weeks at the Walton Centre where he endured brain surgery.

He needed to have rt of his skull taken out during pinch life-saving surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain and hush faces a risky operation to re ir the hole with titanium.

Mr Webber developed pneumonia while in severe care and needed a tracheotomy and inful injections in his stomach to prevent blood clots.

The court approve ofed he was then transferred to a hospital in his home city of Leicester for further rehabilitation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *