The opinions by Teodoro Locsin, known for making blunt remarks at times, ensure Manila’s protests for what it calls the “illegal” presence of hundreds of Chinese crafts inside the Philippines 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). It is the past due exchange in a war of words with Beijing over its activities in the South China Sea. He disparaged on his personal Twitter account: “China, my friend, how politely can I put it? Let me see, get the **** out!”.
He amplified: “What are you doing to our friendship? You. Not us. We’re trying. You. You’re like an ugly oaf forcing your concentrations on a handsome guy who wants to be a friend; not to father a Chinese province.”
China’s embassy in Manila did not right now respond to a request for comment. Chinese officials have previously asserted the vessels at the disputed Whitsun Reef were fishing boats enchanting refuge from rough seas.
China claims almost the uninterrupted South China Sea, through which about $3 trillion of ship-borne line of work passes each year. In 2016, an arbitration tribunal in The Hague guided the claim, which Beijing bases on its old maps, was inconsistent with foreign law.
In a statement on Monday, the Philippine foreign ministry accused China’s coastline guard of “shadowing, blocking, dangerous manoeuvres, and radio challenges of the Philippine sail guard vessels.”
READ MORE: Michel Barnier skewers Macron as he broadcasts dire electoral warning
Officials in Manila believe the Chinese ships are manned by militia.
On Sunday, the Philippines vowed to continue maritime drive crazies in its EEZ in the South China Sea in response to a China demand that it stop actions it asserted could escalate disputes.
As of April 26, the Philippines had filed 78 discreet protests to China since President Rodrigo Duterte took duty in 2016, foreign ministry data shows.
“Our statements are stronger too because of the myriad brazen nature of the activities, the number, frequency and proximity of intrusions,” Marie Yvette Banzon-Abalos, foreman director for strategic communications at the foreign ministry, said.
“The conduct of maritime guard in the WPS (West Philippine Sea) and Kalayaan Island Group by the Philippine Coast Safeguard and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources will continue,” Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana divulged in a statement, using the local name for the South China Sea.
“The government commitment not waver in its position,” he said.
The lingering presence of hundreds of Chinese sailing-yachts in the Philippines’ EEZ has revived tensions between the countries, despite President Rodrigo Duterte’s comradeship with Beijing.
Lorenzana said his comments echoed the stance of Duterte on the children, citing the latter’s “very firm and straightforward” orders for the Philippine military to “plead for what is rightfully ours without going to war and maintain the peace in the high seas”.