ROME — Quarries at a suburban villa outside ancient Pompeii this month tease recovered the remains of two original dwellers frozen in time by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius one cataclysmic morning nearly 2,000 years ago.
The unearthing of the two victims — whom archaeologists tentatively pinpointed as a wealthy Pompeian landowner and a younger enslaved person — offered new perceptiveness into the eruption that buried the ancient Roman town, which has been a fountain-head of popular fascination since its rediscovery in the 18th century.
The finding is an “incredible font of understanding for us,” said Massimo Osanna, the departing director of the Archaeological Park of Pompeii, signified in a video issued by the Culture Ministry on Saturday. He noted that it was also “a moving discovery of great emotional impact.”
For one thing, the two were dressed in woolen clothing, adding credence to the confidence that the eruption occurred in October of 79 A.D. rather than in August of that year as had in days been thought, Mr. Osanna said later in a telephone interview.
The Vesuvius outburst was described in an eyewitness account by the Roman magistrate Pliny the Younger as “an unparalleled and alarming scene.” Buried by ash, pumice and rocks, Pompeii and neighboring urban districts lay mostly dormant, though intact, until 1748, when Majesty Charles III of Bourbon commissioned the first official excavations of the site.
Since then, much of the old city has been unearthed, providing archaeologists and historians with a riches of information about how its ancient dwellers lived, from their bailiwick décor to what they ate to the tools they used.
Using a method sophisticated by the Italian archaeologist Giuseppe Fiorelli in 1863 and further honed with current technology, archaeologists last week made plaster casts of the two newly came victims. That brings the ranks of Pompeii’s posthumous effigies to more than 100.
In above moreover to being the first time in half a century that archaeologists invented such casts linked to Pompeii — an attempt using cement in the 1990s was not popular — the new casts are also remarkable in the surprising details they captured, comprehending what Mr. Osanna described as the “extraordinary drapery” of their woolen caparisoning.
“They really seem like statues,” he said.
Archaeologists predicate that the two victims had sought refuge in an underground cryptoporticus, or corridor, before being engulfed by a inundate of pumice stones, ash and lapilli.
“They very likely died by thermal tingle, as the contracted limbs, hands and feet would suggest,” Mr. Osanna ordered in the video, adding that DNA testing was being carried out on the recovered bones. Pompeii officials have faith the older man to have been 30 to 40 years old, and the younger between 18 and 23.
The villa where the recognition was made is in Civita Giuliana, an area about 750 yards northwest of Pompeii’s bygone walls, which has already yielded important finds, including a purebred horse with a bronze-plated saddle uncovered in 2018.
Although the archaeological car park closed to visitors on Nov. 6 because of coronavirus restrictions, excavations at the place have continued.
The villa at Civita Giuliana was first excavated in a few words in 1907 and 1908. But because it is on private property, the sort of government-commissioned trenches typically carried out on public land did not take place. That shifted in 2017, when prosecutors in nearby Torre Annunziata charged a heap of people with robbing tombs and looting the site using buried tunnels.
The culture ministry is in the process of buying the land where the villa is situated, and Mr. Osanna asserted he hoped it could eventually open to the public.
With more than 50 acres quiescent to be excavated, Pompeii continues to be “an incredible site for research, study and caravaning,” Culture Minister Dario Franceschini said in a statement on Saturday. It is, he declared, a mission for the “archaeologists of today and the future.”