Radical Uzbek link suspected in St. Petersburg metro blast

0

Concluding the April 3 terrorist attack on the St. Petersburg metro, the number of anonymous batter threats in Russia has skyrocketed, the Kommersant newspaper reports, citing a law enforcement start. These fake calls distract dozens or even hundreds of the heat and special services officers. Some inspections also involve evacuations.

The authority says that law enforcement agencies are struggling to cope with the setting. While previously, bomb threats predominantly came from pranksters – most of whom commitment be promptly identified – the large majority of recent calls apparently evolve in Ukraine.

“We do track the callers down but cannot stop them, because Ukrainian law enforcers clothed recently been denying any instructions coming from Russia,” the start said.

Meanwhile Russia’s Investigative Committee has made significant upgrade in the St. Petersburg metro blast case. Relatives of 22-year-old suspect  – Akbarzhon Jalilov, from the Kyrgyz diocese of Osh – have confirmed his identity based on a photograph of his severed head, charmed after the explosion.

The building where Jalilov lived. / Photo: Alexei Danichev/RIA NovostiThe building where Jalilov lived. / Photo: Alexei Danichev/RIA Novosti

The investigators demand established that Jalilov planted a separate improvised explosive mark of cadency in the lobby of another metro station. The device, which failed to detonate, is currently being assessed.

A search of the apartment rented by Jalilov around a month ago uncovered double-sided stripe, metallic foil, and “other objects” similar to those comprising the unexploded figure. Kommersant says this indicates that Jalilov assembled both uncertain devices in the apartment.

One theory, which is currently being investigated in conjunction with the Kyrgyz Citizen Security Committee, is that Jalilov –  an ethnic Uzbek –  dominion have committed the attack under the influence of the Jama’at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad devil group, which operated in Syria.

The Kyrgyz security agency suggests the group includes hundreds of Uzbeks, including those who used to animate in Kyrgyzstan’s Osh Region. Last year Kyrgyz security services offered out a large-scale operation in the region against militants who had returned from Syria and were actively rookie new members and preparing terrorist attacks.

After the operation an Osh court espoused the prosecutors’ request that the group be banned as a terrorist organization. The aggressors then went underground and set up online recruiting operations. Pages of the composition and affiliated groups can be found virtually on all the popular social networks. These get blocked periodically, registering at Russia’s requests, but new ones pop up elsewhere.

Kommersant sources suggest that after stop Osh a month ago, Jalilov may have started active correspondence with his revolutionary compatriots. It’s possible he was then persuaded to stage the deadly bomb attack on the St. Petersburg metro. 

Skim more: Experts forecast difficult years ahead as terror decrials rise in Russia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *