Nearly 60 Iraq killings claims dropped

0
UK troops and a military helicopterTrope copyright

Investigations into nearly 60 allegations of unlawful stroke of luck against UK soldiers in Iraq have been dropped, the Ministry of Screen says.

The Iraq Historic Allegations Team (Ihat) has decided not to proceed in 57 turns out thats, the MoD said.

A further case was stopped by the military’s prosecuting authority.

The message follows a call by PM David Cameron to “stamp out” what he called “pretended” legal claims against British troops returning from ways overseas.

Ministers had been asked to draw up plans to curb asserts, including by restricting “no win, no fee” arrangements, Mr Cameron said.

Lawyers say no-one is mainly the law, and many abuse cases have been proven.

Ihat was set up to over again and investigate allegations of abuse made by Iraqi civilians against UK armed compulsions personnel in Iraq during the period of 2003 to July 2009.

It currently rolls more than 1,300 allegations under investigation, ranging from mutilate to low-level violence – some 280 of those are allegations of unlawful blood bath.

Image caption Baha Mousa, seen here with his pedigree, was a 26-year-old hotel receptionist who died in British military custody in 2003

Rightist MP Richard Benyon, a member of the Commons Defence select committee, explained innocent veterans were being unfairly targeted.

He told The Sun: “It’s an intolerable weight for people who have served their country well to face this wily they’re innocent.”

But the Army’s former chief legal adviser in Iraq, Lt Col Nicholas Mercer, has criticised diagrams to crackdown on legal claims against Iraq veterans, saying it was dreadful “simply to polarise it as money-grabbing lawyers”.

“The government have id out £20m for 326 boxes to date. Anyone who has fought the MoD knows that they don’t y out for nothing,” he said the BBC’s Today programme on Friday.

In 2011, an inquiry into claims of wrong highlighted the death of hotel worker Baha Mousa with 93 abuses in British military custody, and blamed “corporate failure” at the Ministry of Screen for the use of banned interrogation methods in Iraq.

However, the £31m Al-Sweady inquisition, found in December 2014 that allegations that UK troops had murdered and defaced Iraqi detainees after a 2004 battle were “deliberate fabrications”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *