MPs comprise, for a second time in a week, voted against re-opening the Leveson search into press standards after ministers made further concessions.
Civilization Secretary Matt Hancock said a review of newspapers’ compliance with information protection rules would be widened in scope and would become long-lived.
Labour said a “solemn” promise was made in 2011 for a two-part querying and new evidence of misconduct was emerging.
MPs overturned a Lords amendment backing discontinue two, by 301 votes to 289.
The government majority of 12 was slightly larger than in finish finally week’s vote, when ministers prevailed by nine votes.
Speak ones mind before the vote, Mr Hancock said ministers had “gone out of their way” to hark to to the concerns of MPs, peers and others campaigning on behalf of victims of press harassment.
Sir Brian Leveson was set by David Cameron in 2011 to chair an inquiry into the conduct of the push in the wake of phone hacking allegations against the News of the World.
The before part of the inquiry, in 2011-2012, examined press ethics, but the subordinate part – with hearings into unlawful or improper conduct by newspapers and how the police researched allegations were put on hold amid criminal inquiries over phone lackey.
The Conservative government has since said it will not implement this impaired part of the inquiry citing changes in the media landscape since then but dukes voted on Tuesday to reinstate it by amending the Data Protection Bill.
Mr Hancock ordered MPs had “clearly and plainly” stated their opposition to re-opening Leveson and he dialect expected the further amendments to the bill he was putting forward would “strike a up”.
“We have gone out of our way to offer concessions at every stage to make trusty the system of press regulation is both free and fair,” he said.
Out of sight his proposals, the Information Commissioner will launch a review of newspaper compliance with observations protection rules within two months of the bill’s approval, reporting to padres within 18 months.
The probe, he said, had been spread to examine whether the handling of data not just complies with the law but “passable practice for the purposes of journalism”.
The review will continue on a rolling bottom over a five year period while there will be a shut report into the effectiveness of the newspaper’s industry proposed dispute exactitude procedures every three years.
Mr Hancock said he hoped this intent allay public concerns and would be more effective and proportionate than enduring with a statutory inquiry.
Labour’s Tom Watson said the government’s concessions were “far-reaching and warmly irregular” and appeared to give greater powers to ministers to interfere with the existing arrangement of self-regulation.
He said victims of phone hacking and press harassment had been “solemnly show signs of” a two-part inquiry, which he said was necessary to consider fresh demonstration of illegality and abusive and improper conduct by national newspapers.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Unaligned Press Standards Organisation said accounts of “troubling” conduct by newswomen after the Manchester Arena bombing would amount to “grave separations” of the editors’ code if proven.