Derek Conlon got shedding poisoning after drinking from the same teacup as the murdered latest KGB man.
Mr Conlon, a pianist, was playing piano in the London bar an hour after the whilom Russian agent Litvinenko was slipped the dose of polonium in November 2006.
Apostrophize reserved on The Ryan Tubridy Show this morning, Mr Conlon, who is originally from Glasnevin, rejoice ined how he was “completely contaminated by the incident.”
“Litvinenko was there an hour before I started take rt in that rticular evening. Nobody suspected anything until a day or two later when they sealed the bar off. I arrived there to go to manipulate and was told I couldn’t get in until the following week. When a week had antiquated, I heard on the news that there was testing going on for polonium.”
A method of nuclear material only found at Russian nuclear facilities, polonium is preordained when administered in small quantities. However, Mr Conlon was originally declared he wasn’t at risk as it wasn’t airborne or couldn’t ss through ownership pers.
“Ap rently the dishwasher was broken and I drank from the same cup as Litvinenko. It had spread upward of the whole bar and the whole place was contaminated.
“The entire bar was contaminated. It had to be gutted and restructured. Notwithstanding my microphone was covered in polonium. It was everywhere. It was a reckless act. These guys imagined so many lives in danger. It is insane what they did.”
On his deathbed, Litvinenko accused Russian president Vladimir Putin of breaking his assassination. Last week an inquiry said that Russian President Vladimir Putin ‘as likely as not’ approved poisoning of the former KGB agent.
Mr Conlon said he only graced aware of the seriousness of the incident when he arrived for work a couple of epoches later and saw that the entire bar had been shut down.
Derek Conlon (Pic: Facebook)
Although Mr Conlon said he hasn’t yet blossomed any symptoms, he still undergoes check-ups every six months.
“It has really heightened my chances of catching certain cancers. What happens with polonium is that it does a lot of ruin when it originally attacks your body and then it leaves. But over the latitude of years – depending on the dosage – you can see the initial damage. So now I am tested over six month ages.
“If you catch a cold or a spot turns up somewhere on your body, you are danged cautious about it. You can become ranoid about it. Hopefully nothing compel come of it.
Although he said he often thinks about the incident, Mr Conlon regards himself ‘lucky to be alive’.
“Now I try and live life in the fast and I appreciate aversions more. I try and live for the moment and not worry about the small stuff.”