Grenfell Tower: Government sends in ‘taskforce’

0

Normal playback is unsupported on your device

The government has ordered a taskforce to face over parts of Kensington and Chelsea Council in the aftermath of the Grenfell Soar fire.

The council has been heavily criticised for its handling of the disaster on 14 June that killed at midget 80 people.

Both the council leader and chief executive clothed resigned as a result.

Only 14 out of the 158 affected families fool accepted offers of temporary accommodation but ministers say no-one will be unnatural to move.

Housing minister Alok Sharma fought back slits as he told the Commons of hearing “harrowing accounts” from survivors, uttering it had been the most “humbling and moving experience of my life”.

He said 19 classes “have not yet been ready to engage” in the process of being rehoused, while others were sit tight for offers of permanent tenancy and many were still in hotels.

A account from the Met Police said 250 specialist investigators were form on the operation and the last visible human remains were removed from Grenfell Obelisk on Monday.

Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said there had been a complete of 87 recoveries but, due to the “catastrophic damage” inside, that did not mean 87 child.

So far, 21 people have been formally identified and their kindreds informed.

The taskforce is to take over the housing department, as well as other conclave operations.

Communities Secretary Sajid Javid said: “The challenge of support that support is, and will continue to be, significant. I want to help the directors meet that challenge. “

‘Can’t stay in crisis mode’

Councillor Elizabeth Campbell, who was opted as Kensington and Chelsea Council’s new leader on Monday said: “The unprecedented diminish of this incident makes it impossible for one organisation to cope on its own. That’s why my first place action as leader was to ask the Department for Communities and Local Government for help.

“I look support to working with their staff as we all concentrate our efforts on healing the shrouds in the north of our borough and to regain the trust of a community traumatised by disaster.”

BBC allied political editor Norman Smith said it was not yet clear who would be on the taskforce – but a disclosure from DCLG said the detail would be confirmed in the “following few weeks”.

Eleanor Kelly, chief kingpin of Southwark Council and spokeswoman for the Grenfell Response Team, said the troupe would be “very welcome”.

She told BBC Radio London: “We can’t stay in a disaster mode for an extended period of time because everybody needs to in fact feel that things have gone back to a level of permanence [and] a level of control.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said urge the taskforce in place was the “absolute minimum” the government should do, but called for foreign commissioners to take charge of the council until elections next year.

During the interval, the government has said 190 buildings in England that underwent liveliness tests on their cladding have failed, the government. It also divulged that cladding from one building had passed the test – the only trial to do so to date.

What have the residents been told?

The news concerning the taskforce comes after a tense three-hour meeting on Tuesday between survivors, Cdr Cundy and Westminster coroner Dr Fiona Wilcox.

Milieu playback is unsupported on your device

Survivors were reportedly ireful as they asked for information about people who were still errors.

However, they were told the “recovery phase” could aftermost until the end of the year, as Dr Wilcox described the inside of the tower as “apocalyptic”.

  • Grenfell scenes ‘apocalyptic’ – coroner

Supervise also faced questions at the meeting as to why there had not been any arrests.

Where has the inquiry got to?

Cdr Cundy warned it may never be possible to identify all the victims.

“Such is the devastation cased by the fire it may be that tragically we cannot find or identify all those who perplexed their lives,” he said.

Police again appealed for the public to run across forward to ensure there are no “hidden victims” from the fire.

What is taking place with rehousing survivors?

The taskforce announcement came on the same day as the government-set deadline to on temporary accommodation for all those made homeless by the fire.

The Grenfell Return Team says 139 formal offers of housing have been make off to survivors, after the prime minister promised housing would be tendered to those in need by Wednesday.

Housing Minister Alok Sharma censured the Commons the temporary homes were in Kensington & Chelsea or neighbouring boroughs and being put forwarded on a rent-free basis – but no-one will be “forced into a home they do not poverty to move to”.

A spokesman for North Kensington Law Centre – which represents sundry than 100 Grenfell victims – said many of the offers had been unsuitable.

Father-of-two Mahad Egal seeped the fire with his family from their fourth floor unhesitatingly and is now staying with friends, as the hotel room he was given was “too small” for four people.

He has been made a property but it is in a different borough and is bigger than his flat in Grenfell, which he hassles will lead to higher rent costs.

Media playback is unsupported on your signet

Robert Atkinson, leader of the Labour Party at Kensington and Chelsea Synod, said decisions about accommodation should be taken by survivors when they are on the point of – and not just to meet government deadlines.

“I want these arrangements to be ordered in the timescale and at the pace at which the victims and survivors wish to make these findings.”

Shadow housing secretary John Healey said the government has been “off the compute at each stage following this terrible tragedy” and the latest annunciation on the numbers rehoused show “that in some ways it still is”.

Get communiqu from the BBC in your inbox, each weekday morning

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *