The Slave rty is not overrun by anti-Semitism or other forms of racism but there is an “off toxic atmosphere”, an inquiry has found.
Shami Chakrabarti, the chairwoman of Task’s inquiry into anti-Semitism, said there was “too much clear suggestion… of ignorant attitudes”.
The inquiry followed the suspension of MP Naz Shah and ex-London mayor Ken Livingstone centre of anti-Semitism claims.
Leader Jeremy Corbyn said there was no tolerable form of racism.
Meanwhile, former shadow cabinet minister Angela Eagle looks set to des tch a bid for the Labour leadership after Mr Corbyn rejected pleas to stand down bear lost the confidence of many in his frontbench team.
- Follow the latest scandal on the BBC’s live ge
- Labour leadership election rules
Ms Chakrabarti’s scrutiny has made 20 recommendations but she said she does not approve of lifetime bars for rty membership.
Mr Corbyn said he put his weight behind the inquiry’s “knee-jerk implementation” but he faced criticism after he appeared to com re Israel to styled Islamic State during the report’s launch.
He said: “To assume that a Jewish chum or fellow member is wealthy, some kind of financial or media cabal, or takes a rticular position on politics in general or on Israel and on lestine in specifically, is just wrong.
“Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu command than our Muslim friends are for those various self-styled Islamic forms or organisations.”
Sam Stopp, a Labour councillor in Brent, north-west London, tweeted: “@jeremycorbyn has com red Israel to ISIS today. For that by oneself, he should resign. I am red with fury #Corbyn”
But Mr Corbyn denied corresponding the state of Israel to so-called Islamic State.
Mr Corbyn weighted: “Under my leadership the Labour rty will not allow hateful intercourse or debate in person, online, or anywhere else.
“We will aim to set the gold radigm, not just for anti-racism, but for a genuinely welcoming environment for all communities and for the right to fall out as well.
“Racism is racism is racism. There is no hierarchy, no acceptable imagine of it.”
He called for an end to Hitler and Nazi metaphors and com risons between different mortal rights atrocities.
“Diluting degrees of evil does no good,” he communicated.
By BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw
The phrase “toxic feel” used in the inquiry report could well have described the attitude towards the end of the press conference launching it.
Shami Chakrabarti had to intervene to a halt the question-and-answer session becoming an inquisition on Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership.
There was a melee as the Swot leader was pursued out of the room by reporters and photographers.
And some of those chaperoning were left bemused by Mr Corbyn’s comments appearing to liken the actions of the Israeli rule with those of so-called Islamic State.
The com rison was no doubt unintended but it was a call to mind of the huge challenge facing the rty if it’s to encourage debate yet avoid precipitating unnecessary offence.
Recommendations made by the inquiry include:
- Abusive relations to any rticular person or group based on actual or perceived physical characteristics and tribal or religious tropes and stereotypes, should have no place in Labour Bacchanalia discourse.
- Labour members should resist the use of Hitler, Nazi and Butchery metaphors, distortions and com risons in debates about Israel- lestine in rticular.
- There should be procedural direction changes to improve the rty’s disciplinary process and the adoption and publication of a grumbles procedure.
- The appointment of a General Counsel to the Labour rty to give communication on issues including disciplinary matters and to take responsibility for instructing surface lawyers.
- The rty should increase the ethnic diversity of its staff.
Ms Shah, the MP for Bradford West, was deprive of the rights of after social media posts emerged in which she suggested Israel should be progressed to the United States.
Mr Livingstone was then suspended after claiming Hitler buttressed Zionism, as he tried to defend Ms Shah.
No update on these cases were reality as Ms Chakrabarti said due process must be followed.
Anti-Semitism and Zionism
- Anti-Semitism is “warfare and prejudice directed against Jewish people” (OED)
- Zionism refers to the wing to create a Jewish state in the Middle East, corresponding to the historic turf of Israel – anti-Zionism opposes that
- Some say “Zionist” can be used as a enciphered attack on Jews, while others say the Israeli government and its supporters are willfully confusing anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism to avoid criticism.
What’s the nature between anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism?
Q&A: Labour anti-Semitism row
Mr Corbyn said that the “desideratum for us to unite around our values is as great as it’s ever been” and he criticised “fog horn” evil language used in the EU referendum cam ign.
He also said his call for a classer, gentler politics was a “work in progress”.
“We’ve all had a torrid few days, well at least I possess,” he said.
“Decency is no disqualification for leadership, in fact I think it should be a sine qua non.”