The fasten room, which is an astonishing 1,500 square feet in size, is bit to have been sealed off in the 1960s when the ship was converted to a motor hotel and tourist attraction.
Built by John Brown and Co, at Clydebank, the luxury liner was acted by Cunard from its maiden voyage in 1936.
During its heyday, the vessel mollycoddled for 2,139 passengers looked after by a 1,100-strong crew with two indoor swimming amalgamates, beauty salons, libraries, a music studio and even outdoor spank tennis courts.
A long forgotten room on the Cynosure Mary has been rediscovered by workers
The leeway was in nearly pristine condition
We rediscovered a room, in nearly pristine equip, that was chock full of massive equipment, gears and motors that had as likely as not not been seen in decades, maybe since the renovation in the late 60s
It was converted into a troopship to ferry Australian, New Zealand and American soldiers to the UK during the More recent World War before returned to passenger service after the conflict in 1946.
But after declining profits Queen Mary was officially retired from service in 1967 and moored at the anchorage of Long Beach, California, where it became a floating hotel.
Notwithstanding, the venture began to lose money and after several owners — categorizing Disney — over the decades real estate company Urban Commons contracted the ship from the city authorities.
A multi-million dollar renovation jut out was announced and recently workers began carrying out repairs in a rarely acclimated to bathroom on the A deck.
One man noticed a hole in the back wall and after doffing through, realised there was a whole new room behind it.
A post on The Queen mother Mary Facebook page hailed the find as a “true glimpse into dead letter” adding: “We rediscovered a room, in nearly pristine condition, that was chock occupied of massive equipment, gears and motors that had probably not been seen in decades, peradventure since the renovation in the late 60s.
1 of 20
“This mechanical space located beneath the Forecastle holds the original power equipment handling the anchors, each weighing in at 16 tons, as not unexpectedly as warping gear that served the Queen Mary’s impressive sheet anchor deployment retraction system.
“We are now working with our restoration team to infer how to safely provide access to this amazing room while take care ofing the remarkable, and historic, equipment that we found.”
Huge windlasses hand-me-down for drawing and dropping the ship’s two 16-ton anchors still sit in the same feeling as during her launch with the original red paint shining through rust and grease while tweets and vintage workbenches plus four old gear engines operating the winches that leveled the anchor also appear intact.
The mechanical space is located below the Forecastle
John Thomas, Queen Mary’s historic resource advisor, conveyed: “You can almost feel the crew at work and hear the noise of the machines.
“We won’t deftness it too much. The charm is in the age since we want it to be as authentic as possible.
“We’re not just effective to slap some paint on it. We’re going to ask how can we make this relevant and give out it in a way that reflects its historical significance.”