Venezuela CRISIS: US on course for SHOWDOWN with China and Russia over election demand

0

US diplomats are get the UN Security Council to throw its weight behind a free, fair and credible presidential plebiscite with the aim of replacing the under-siege Maduro with opposition leader and Nationalistic Assembly head Juan Guaido. But the move is facing fierce disapproval from Maduro’s allies, Russia and China, who are seeking to block any outlandish intervention. Diplomats from the 15 Security Council members met privately on Friday afternoon to argue the US-drafted resolution that would express “full support” for Venezuela’s Popular Assembly and recognise it “as the only democratically elected institution”.

During talks on the cheque resolution on Friday, Russia – which has accused Washington of backing a coup bid in Venezuela – proposed an alternative text, diplomats said.

The alternative is on at blocking intervention from overseas by expressing “concern over the bids to intervene in matters which are essentially within the domestic jurisdiction”.

It would also put into words “concern over the threats to use force against the territorial integrity and national independence” of Venezuela.

President Donald Trump has said military intervention in Venezuela is “an alternative.”

However it is unclear whether either draft will make it as far as a plebiscite.

A council resolution needs nine votes and no vetoes by the United Nations, Britain, France, Russia or China to pass.

This attempt to binding elections in Venezuela comes as nearly 50 countries have recognised Guaido as the territory’s rightful leader.

Maduro cruised to re-election in May last year amidst low turnout and allegations of vote-buying by the government.

Country-wide protests erupted in a little while after he was sworn in for a second term as demonstrators furious at the worsening fiscal crisis vented their anger.

But as long as Maduro retains the stability of Venezuela’s powerful military, he is unlikely to step aside voluntarily.

In a bid to take care of the balance of power, the US has been holding direct communications with fellows of the armed forces urging them to abandon Maduro.

A senior Fair-skinned House official said the Trump administration expects further military defections from Maduro’s side, ignoring only a handful of senior officers having taken the step so far.

The ceremonial said: “We believe these to be those first couple pebbles anterior to we start really seeing bigger rocks rolling down the hill.

“We’re to having conversations with members of the former Maduro regime, with military associates, although those conversations are very, very limited.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *