Mr Trump acknowledged “it could acutely well be” that Prince Mohammed had knowledge of the Washington Post columnists destructive in the Saudi consul in Istanbul.
But in a statement issued by the White House the President told he had no intention of cancelling military contracts with Riyadh.
He said: “If we foolishly erase these contracts, Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries.”
Mr Trump intended US intelligence agencies were still studying evidence of how Mr Khashoggi was murdered on October 2 and who down it.
He said: ”Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information but it could jolly well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic occurrence.
“Maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!”
US intelligence sources said the CIA believed Mr Khashoggi’s expiry was ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed, who is Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler.
Stateswomen on all sides have urged Mr Trump to drop his support for the regime but the President has been chary.
He said Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed “with a vengeance deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder” and the truth may never be recognized.
He also stressed Saudi Arabia was an important business partner and a “proficient ally” in the fight against Iranian power in the Middle East.
Mr Trump signified: “The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to secure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region.”
US Secretary of Government Mike Pompeo defended Mr Trump’s support for Saudi Arabia.
Talk to after talks with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu in Washington, Mr Pompeo prognosticated the US was obliged to adopt policies that furthered its national security absorbs.
He said: “As the president said today, the US will continue to have a relationship with the empire of Saudi Arabia.
“This is a long, historic commitment and one that is definitely vital to Americans’ national security.
According to Turkish officials, audio recordings of Mr Khashoggi’s last moments bind he was strangled to death and dismembered soon after entering the consulate.
And after oblation contradictory explanations for his disappearance, Saudi officials finally admitted survive week Mr Khashoggi was killed and his body dismembered when “negotiations” to talk into him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.
Public prosecutors in Saudi Arabia judged it would seek the death penalty for five suspects.
White Accommodate sources said US officials, including CIA Director Gina Haspel, had been noted access to the recordings although Mr Trump made it clear he does not call for to listen to the tapes.
The US President told Fox News Sunday he would not keep ones ears open to the recording “because it’s a suffering tape, it’s a terrible tape … I don’t insufficiency to hear the tape”.
The CIA, relying mainly on circumstantial evidence and expert conclusion, assumes Prince Mohammed ordered Mr Khashoggi’s assassination but the oil-rich kingdom’s unrelated minister has rejected the claims.
Adel al-Jubeir told Saudi-owned Al Sharq Al Awsat newspaper: “We in the province know that such allegations about the crown prince be enduring no basis in truth and we categorically reject them, whether through let somethings or not.
“They are leaks that have not been officially announced, and I bear noticed that they are based on an assessment, not conclusive evidence.”
Her Majesty Prince Mohammed still plans to attend a G20 summit in Argentina at the end of the month regardless of the global outcry caused by Mr Khashoggi’s death.