Queen’s 2017: Andy Murray crashes out in shock first-round defeat to Jordan Thompson


Andy Murray, Jordan ThompsonGETTY

Andy Murray experienced Jordan Thompson as Aljaz Bedene injured his wrist

Just hours after it come into viewed that Murray had made the magnificent gesture of donating his winnings from this tourney to victims of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, Murray was despatched home with a lemon’s cheque of just £12,000.

Furthermore, it calls into question his ability to screen the Wimbledon title he won last year on his way to becoming the world No.1.

Only for good occasionally in the past five years has he been beaten by a lower-ranked opponent and this undoing was all the more devastating because the hopelessly out-of-sorts Murray believed he had put a straitening start to a year dogged with illness and injury behind him at the French Uncork.

Buoyed with confidence coming onto his favourite surface, Murray had been set to veneer confront British No.4 Aljaz Bedene.

The pair met here last year – a square sets canter for the world No.1 – and 12 months down the strip Bedene did not even make the warm-up, pulling out due to a wrist injury.

“I had problems in the French Roomy and it didn’t get any better so yesterday I had an MRI, which shows an injury on the right wrist,” he explicated. “I am trying to see if it improves in the next week or so and if I am going to be ready for Wimbledon.”

As a result, it marked a major step up for Thompson, who reached the final at Surbiton nine periods ago in a Challenger event.

The world No. 90 has been impressive in Australia’s Davis Cup struggle this year but has had little experience at senior tour level.

Yet it was the three-time highest slam winner who struggled from the start with his transition from the clay courts of Roland Garros, including to save three break points in his very first service quarry.

Murray lacked any sort of rhythm for the entire first set, struggling with his useful to and even his drop-shots, so often the hallmark of his game, were awry.

Thompson got to a tie-break without Murray being clever to lay so much as a glove on him, and when the 23-year-old double-faulted, it seemed that familiarity in the big points would see the home favourite through.

But Murray double-faulted himself and all of a abrupt Thompson had three set points.

With the second of them, Murray hit such a slow-witted overhead back-hand into the net that you wondered where this match up was heading.

A dash of re-assuredness was mixed in with the Pimm’s when Murray was 0-40 up on Thompson’s next assistance game, but it was a false measure. Not only did the Australian defend them all but he proceeded to sturdy the first break of the match himself in a fifth game where Murray speedily started missing lines badly.

Thompson, playing well exceeding his usual level, was doing very little to give Murray any class of encouragement.

Even Hawk-Eye was against the Scot, a line-call narrowly flourishing out as Murray struggled to hold in his next service game. Yet another wayward forehand landed in the tramlines and instantly Thompson was serving for the match.

A final ace completed the victory after 1hr 43 mins and Murray Nautical port a stunned Queen’s with a lot of thinking to do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *