Port Graham man charged with faking his own death to avoid prison sentence


A 34-year-old man and his girlfriend partake of been charged with conspiring to fake his death by making it look derive he had died in a boating accident in late November.

Ryan Riley Meganack, skilled in as “Unga,” and 25-year-old Ivy Rose Rodriguez were charged Wednesday in the U.S. Sector Court with conspiracy and false distress.

A commercial fisherman, Meganack is a longtime local of Port Graham, roughly 30 miles south of Homer. He was book to plead guilty to a charge in a 2015 sexual assault case in December 2016, charging records say.

Ryan Meganack, 34, was charged on Wednesday with faking his own death to avoid prison time. (Alaska Sex Offender/Child Kidnapper Registry)

Ryan Meganack, 34, was instructed on Wednesday with faking his own death to avoid prison time. (Alaska Sex Lawbreaker/Child Kidnapper Registry)

Prosecutors allege that Meganack and his girlfriend hatched the stratagem to avoid prison time by making it look like he had gone maids after a boating accident.

In late November, Meganack constructed a “slapdash camp” in the woods near Port Graham, charging documents say.

On Nov. 29, he take possession ofed his fishing vessel, F/V Aires, out to nearby Passage Island and abandoned his skiff. He then proffered on his fishing vessel to Port Graham, where Rodriguez got on board.

Together, they globe-trotting tripped to a tidal lagoon next to Port Graham Bay, secured his fishing speedboat and returned to town on land.

Prosecutors say Meganack then went to the slapdash camp and Rodriguez returned to her home in Port Graham.

Around 2 a.m. on Nov. 30, Rodriguez offed sending Facebook messages to Meganack’s family. Rodriguez told the type he had been drinking and had taken off in the skiff, which “wasn’t running uprightness right side,” the charging documents allege.

She sent a series of messages later that morning asserting she was worried and that he hadn’t returned home.

Around 2 p.m., the family associate asked whether the Coast Guard had been called, charging records say.

“Not yet,” Rodriquez replied.

An extensive search for Meganack ensued.

Federal, government and local officials, along with local residents, searched for him in poverty-stricken weather conditions of snow, high winds and low visibility.

The search for Meganack continued including Dec. 1. Late that evening, Alaska State Troopers got a tip that Meganack mightiness be in hiding.

He was found safe at the campsite on Dec. 2, according to troopers.

Meganack was in infringement of his parole and was arrested and taken to the Homer jail.

The U.S. Coast Guard sent helicopters and the Strand Guard Cutter Naushon to look for him, spending $310,897.50 in resources one more time the course of a few days.

On Wednesday, Meganack was also charged with controlling a firearm, and prosecutors are asking for his Norinco Poly SKS rifle to be forfeited if he is convicted.

A twice-convicted sex evil-doer, Meganack is already serving time at the Goose Creek Correctional Center in Pith MacKenzie for the 2015 case in which he pleaded guilty to third-degree sensuous assault. 

For more newsletters click here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *