If you quiet have any old £10 notes, make sure you spend them before 1 Walk next year.
The Bank of England has announced that the old paper notes, featuring naturalist Charles Darwin, at ones desire no longer be legal tender after that date.
Its days maintain been numbered since the new polymer tenner, depicting author Jane Austen, participate ined circulation in September.
But the old note can still be exchanged by the Bank after the cut-off boyfriend.
Threadneedle Street says polymer, also now used for the £5 note featuring Winston Churchill, is myriad durable and cleaner than paper notes.
Security features of Jane Austen £10 note:
- A gossamer window featuring the Queen’s portrait
- Winchester Cathedral shown in gold check on the front of the note and silver on the back
- A quill at the side of the window which interchanges from purple to orange
- A hologram which contains the word «Ten» and replacements to «Pounds» when the note is tilted
- A hologram of the coronation crown which seems 3D and multi-coloured when the note is tilted
- Micro-lettering beneath the Queen’s picture with tiny letters and numbers that are visible under a microscope
- A book-shaped copper lamination patch which contains the letters JA
- The words «Bank of England» type in intaglio (raised ink) along the top of the note
It has persevered with the material undeterred by complaints from religious and vegan groups that the animal fat tallow is toughened in the production process.
Following consultation, the Bank said in August that it devise continue with the use of tallow in future banknotes — saying it «has not taken this steadfastness lightly».
The Bank assessed whether palm oil or coconut oil should be adapted to instead, but concluded that this might not be able to be sourced sustainably. Transforming production would also involve considerable extra costs to taxpayers.
The old £10 notes force been in circulation since November 2000, but lost out to the new ones on grounds of assurance as well as durability.
The Jane Austen notes have a number of performs built in that make them particularly hard to forge.
They also deceive an inscription in raised dots that helps blind and partially-sighted alcohols to identify them.
The end of the old paper tenner follows the official withdrawal go the distance month of the old round £1 coin, which has now been wholly changed by the new 12-sided version.