Norovirus outbreak: A prepare was closed last week after pupils fell ill
The school in Bridgend had to fleetingly shut doors after several of its pupils fell ill with a sickness bug.
On Friday morning materfamilias of children at Brynmenyn Primary were informed that classes wish be cancelled so that the school could undergo a thorough cleaning.
A spokesman from Bridgend county borough directorate said: “As a significant number of pupils at Brynmenyn Primary were missing through illness on Friday and the school boiler developed a fault, the crisis and chair of governors took the decision to close the school to help mitigate further spread of the illness, enable the boiler to be repaired and facilitate a ‘occult clean’ of the school and its facilities.”
It has since reopened to pupils.
The illness has been attributed to the cheap, but unpleasant, stomach bug Norovirus.
Symptoms: Sufferers often feel sick and projectile return food
Norovirus is highly infectious and a common cause of diarrhoea and vomiting.
A Public Health Wales spokeswoman said: “Mr Health Wales has been working with colleagues in the environmental fitness department at Bridgend County Borough Council to manage an episode of a vomiting sickness affecting children at a primary school in the area.
“We suspect this ailment is due to Norovirus.
“Norovirus is highly infectious and a common cause of diarrhoea and return fanding.
“The illness is generally mild and most people usually recover within two to three lifetimes.”
Getty Images/Area Photo Libra
1 of 10
Stomach cramps: This is a less universal symptom
Norovirus is often called the ‘winter vomiting bug’ since it’s sundry common in winter, but it can strike at any time of year.
According to the NHS, symptoms for the most part include suddenly feeling sick, projectile vomiting and watery diarrhoea, no matter how people may also experience a slight fever, headaches, painful stand cramps and aching limbs.
The bug hit the headlines in February this year after outbreaks at restaurant manacles Wahaca and
Public Health Wales: They recommend entirely washing hands before preparing food or eating
The spokeswoman from Open Health Wales added: “Hand washing is one of the most important ways to preclude the spread of Norovirus.
“All members of a household with any case of vomiting or diarrhoea should salve their hands with liquid soap and warm water in front of preparing or eating food, after contact with infected people and after putting the toilet.
“Towels and flannels should not be shared.
“People who are unwell with diarrhoea or vomiting should not wait upon work or school for 48 hours after their last characteristics to avoid spreading infection to others.”