Missing Edinburgh woman's family told of grisly find


Mother-of-two Louise Tiffney has not been seen since neglect her home in Dean Path in Edinburgh on May 27, 2002. She was 43 at the time of her disappearance. Her son, Sean Flynn, then 21, was later cleared of her murdering. 

Human remains were found by a cyclist near the entrance of Gosford Quarters, a stately home in Longniddry, East Lothian, at around 6.30pm on Sunday. 

Forensic experts are working to identify the victim and the cause of death. However, Police Scotland revealed yesterday that Ms Tiffney’s type have been informed about the discovery. 

The victim’s sister, June Tiffney, also from Edinburgh, endure night said she hoped the find will finally bring “closure” to the genre’s 15-year nightmare. 

She said: “This is a bolt out of the blue. I really anticipate these remains are my sister. 

“Our family has suffered over the years. I miss my sister to be found or we will never get closure and give her a proper interment. We had a memorial service to try and help us cope but it didn’t work. It’s been an unmitigated nightmare.” 

Detective Superintendent Pat Campbell said: “We are consulting a number of aces to ensure that the remains are recovered in a sensitive and careful manner and that no support that helps us to establish what happened is damaged or missed. 

“I twig the anxiety of those who may be waiting for news of a missing loved one but, while the individuality of the remains is unknown, we cannot speculate.” 

Mr Flynn was tried at the High Court in Perth for his mother’s bump off but the case was found not proven in March 2005. 

The hearing was told that a Nissan Almera, nearly the same to one driven by the accused, was filmed on CCTV in Edinburgh early in May 2002, at a temporarily when he told detectives he was in bed. 

Jurors were informed that Ms Tiffney’s blood was inaugurate in the boot, despite a bid to clean it, and that Mr Flynn’s mobile phone was also hardened near Tranent, East Lothian, on the same day. 

In January 2001, Mr Flynn, then 17, was elaborate in a car accident that resulted in the death of his cousin, Paul Ross, and a soul mate, Christopher Magee, both 18. 

Flynn did not have a driving licence or surety at the time. 

He later admitted causing their deaths by dangerous shepherd and was jailed for three years and nine months at the High Court in Edinburgh. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *