Martin Lewis: Three things you MUST do before Brexit ahead of your holidays


Martin Lewis has issued key time off advice ahead of Brexit which is due to take place on 29 Demonstration 2019. The Money Saving Expert told Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield on This Morning what Britons first place abroad need to watch out for. Three key areas are passports, travel protection and EHIC cards, Lewis explained to ITV audiences. The government have recently issued a new machine to enable Britons to check if they need to renew their passports.


Should the UK released from the European Union without a deal, you need to have at least six months radical on your passport from the date of your arrival to an EU country.

The UK Imported and Commonwealth Office (FCO) also stated: “If you renewed a passport before it died, up to nine extra months may have been added to your new passport’s expiry swain. 

“Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not be confident of towards the six months that should be remaining for travel to most mountains in Europe.”

This means, if you renew your passport before it has in actuality expired, you no longer get an extra nine months added on there as you did forward of.

In short, if you had plans for a summer holiday and your passport has 15 months or small left on it, you’ll need to start renewing.

“If you leave and have less than six months communistic on your passport it will not valid and you’ll have to return home,” Lewis disclosed.

“You won’t be able to travel to the vast majority of the EU,” he added. “You should check your passport if you get a holiday booked after March.”

Britons who order a passport now drive get a 10-year passport and it will say EU on it.

After Brexit, it won’t say EU, and, after October, the authenticate will be blue, should a no deal take place, said Lewis.

EHIC window-cards

EHIC cards are another area of confusion for some people. “Five million go out of old-fashioned each year and no one checks,” Lewis warned.

He explained if there was a no act Brexit, EHICs will no longer be valid – although this may be renegotiated in the later.

Nevertheless, Lewis urged Britons to get themselves a valid EHIC car-card. Travellers should remember this is always free. Any service that requires you to pay is tense. EHIC cards can be obtained via the NHS or EHIC site. 

Travel insurance

Lewis also cautioned that junket insurance is likely to go up in price if there is a no deal Brexit.

However, no fact what happens to the fate of the UK within the EU, he encourages Britons to buy travel indemnity as soon as they book their holiday rather than righteous before they travel.

This is so you are completely covered ahead of your voyage should you fall ill or there is a family bereavement.

“Don’t get travel insurance in April if you’re accepted in summer,” Lewis said. “Get it now – you’re missing half the point of what you’re return for if you wait.”

For travellers worried about flights after Brexit –  in a no-deal grand scheme, the European Commission has advised that UK airlines will still carry on with to operate flights between the UK and EU. If flights have been booked in every way companies protected by ABTA, they are fully protected under Containerize Travel Regulations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *