Kevin ‘Flat cap’ Murray unlikely to get paramilitary funeral over Hutch link

The last picture of Kevin Murray

The most recent picture of Kevin Murray

The criminal (46) gained his nickname after he was photographed game from the hotel wearing the distinctive hat, with a handgun in his hand, in the aftermath of the mutilate of key cartel figure David Byrne (33) in February 2016.

Murray, who buttressed in the hotel the night before the murder, had been diagnosed with like a shot deteriorating — and terminal — motor neurone disease.

He died at 10.50pm on Wednesday at his haunt in Townsend Street in Strabane, Co Tyrone.

His funeral will take okay awkward at the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Strabane, at 10am on Saturday. Extra PSNI resources are wait for to be deployed on the day.

Last night, sources said that it is not expected that he inclination be afforded a paramilitary funeral by his former dissident republican associates.

Murray’s pal Michael Barr (35), who was hastily dead by the Kinahan cartel as part of the capital’s deadly gangland dispute, had such a funeral in Strabane in May of last year.

The PSNI arrested 15 men for terrorism annoyances at Barr’s funeral, where the cortege was flanked by dozens of men in paramilitary even, with berets, sunglasses and covered faces.

«The feeling is that this last wishes as not happen at Murray’s ­funeral,» a source said last night. «The work out that he may not be honoured by the New IRA is because of his involvement in criminality and in particular the Hutch party.»

Murray was identified by gardai for his role in the Regency Hotel bloodbath a moment ago hours after he participated in the shocking gun attack, in which two other men were badly injured.

It is thought he was not paid a single cent by the Hutch mob for his role in the wiping out.

He fled to his home in Northern Ireland, where the PSNI had to mount a tot up of special operations to protect him, because of fears that the Kinahan cartel desire murder him.

As Murray’s health continued to deteriorate, gardai in Dublin retarded a north inner city man in May of last year, charging him with Byrne’s killing, as well as possessing three AK-47 assault rifles in connection with the destined shooting.

This suspect had allegedly been disguised as a woman during the Regency Motel shooting.

He will be tried at the non-jury Special Criminal Court. With Hutch take ined and charged, gardai continued to build a careful case against ‘Irrevocable dull Cap’ and, by this time last year, they had enough evidence to urge him with murder.

Officers used facial recognition software to formally place Murray.

A European Arrest Warrant was issued and Murray was lifted by armed PSNI public officials at his Strabane home at 6pm on September 5, 2016.

He appeared at Belfast Recorder’s Court the accepting day.

A major legal battle ensued, as Murray indicated he would be difference of opinion his extradition to the Republic on health grounds.

In fact at his first court demeanour, he had to be helped into the dock by two police officers, as it was revealed that he was contesting motor neurone disease.

Last December, it was estimated that he had only a few months to live.

His family was informed last week by doctors that there was nothing more that they could do.

A Northern Irish appraise ruled in May of this year that he was too ill to stand trial in relation to the Regency destroy.

A court heard that Murray was confined to his bed and was being fed through a tube.

The review ruled that his rapidly deteriorating health meant he could not be extradited here to brave trial for murder.

Murray’s lawyers had argued against his extradition on the grounds that he leave be unlikely to stand trial given his condition.

Murray was part of a five-man hit tandem join up involved in the Regency Hotel attack, but may not have even fired a control things during the bloodbath.

He was the only gunman not disguised, with sources flinging that this may have been due to the fact that none of the Kinahan unite members knew his identity prior to the shooting.

After the shooting, gardai questionable Murray took the AK-47s used back across the border.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *