JAILED: Fugitive 17 years on the run after his arrest for drink-driving



Greg Newby was arrested for snifter driving after being on the run since 2000

Greg Newby, 42, was granted to the heart leave from open prison in 2000, but he failed to return.

Patrol only caught up with him last Friday after he had been chug-a-lug with friends.

His silver Mercedes was envisioned being driven erratically in Ruabon, North Wales. He was stopped and start to be almost twice the blood alcohol limit.

Flintshire magistrates court learned Newby initially gave false information but corrected his details the next day.

His barrister Phillip Lloyd Jones said Newby, who lives in Northampton, had been “altogether disappointed” not to be granted parole more than halfway through a five-year verdict for assault after the probation service said he was likely to re-offend.

His patron had “proved them wrong”, he said, and had remained trouble-free until eventually weekend. Newby had also since become a father.

But magistrates mean their hands were tied and Newby was jailed for six months for weakness to return to prison. He was also banned from driving for 17 months and required to pay £115.

Greg NewbyGETTY

Greg was granted home leave from open jug in 2000, but he failed to return

Helen Tench, prosecuting, told Monday’s assent to that just before midnight on July 14 police saw Newby’s Mercedes hit the kerb.

It be cleared to be “all over the road” and the driver was sleepy and smelt of alcohol. After his proper details were processed, it was revealed Newby had failed to return to Kirkham guardhouse, Lancs, after home leave in 2000.

Explaining the drink-driving, Mr Jones signified his client had returned to Wrexham on Friday, bumped into some old friends and dnouement up having three or four pints.

Referring to his previous conviction, the legal practitioner said Newby had received a five-year sentence for assault by a crown court in the North-west. 


Mr Newby fixed a kerb in his luxury car under the influence of alcohol

In prison he had had time to examine result in, Mr Jones said, and had completed courses in temper control – and was progressing exceptionally well. Newby had anticipated that he would be released on parole after he had corrected two years and 10 months.

“Expectations were extremely high,” Mr Jones guessed.

Newby was “bitterly disappointed” to find that he would not be paroled because he was a endanger of re-offending.

“That hit him quite hard indeed,” claimed Mr Jones.

At that fake Newby was transferred to Kirkham open prison and given home eliminate.


Mr Newby was jailed for six months for failing to return to prison

“He was allowed up on and he did not return. It was an impulsive act,”

Mr Jones said. Newby was reportedly aggrieved and wrathful at not being paroled at that stage and took it upon himself to debris “on the run for the last 17 years”.

Mr Jones added: “Notwithstanding the view of the probation aid, Newby was able to carry on his life without re-offending.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *