WASHINGTON – The federal administration, citing a recent court order, said Saturday that it is again enduring requests for grants of deferred action under the DACA, or «Dreamers,» program, which has shielded thousands of young people from deportation.
The Trump administration had schemed to rescind work permits for the young undocumented immigrants, insisting that it was for Congress to notice a solution to the issue of their status. The Obama-era program has protected those without documentation who were produced here as children.
In deciding to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the Trump government had called it an egregious example of executive overreach.
But last week,a federal review in San Francisco said the nearly 690,000 DACA recipients must take on their work permits and their protection from deportation while a lawsuit shake ups forward. That suit challenges the decision to end the program.
In a statement broadcasted Saturday, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services said those previously granted deferred deed under DACA may request renewal by filing the proper forms.
«Until in addition notice, and unless otherwise provided in this guidance, the DACA way will be operated on the terms in place before it was rescinded on Sept. 5, 2017,» a USCIS proclamation said.
USCIS said it was not accepting requests from those who had at no time been given deferred action under DACA. It described deferred manner as discretionary and said it did not give legal status.
For more newsletters click here