FEUD: Ireland’s bloodiest underworld war – chapter five


Consideration the enormity of the task and the thousands of hours of CCTV footage that had to be painstakingly trawled help of, by early May officers had pieced together what had happened before David Byrne was massacred, identified four suspects for Eddie Hutch’s murder and developed a unencumbered picture of what had happened the night Michael Barr was shot beat.

Officers, particularly those from the Special Detective Unit and the Psychedelics and Organised Crime Unit, had come up trumps with information and quaint it up the line to the Crime and Security division, run by Assistant Commissioner John O’Ma­hony.

A impenetrable lid had been kept on all the information coming in. While public fears fragmented at an all-time high about the threat of organised crime to ordinary soci­ety, gardai had in point of fact managed to quell the war on a number of fronts behind the scenes.

The first interrupts came when two well-known gangsters were brought in for ques­tioning on top of Eddie Hutch’s murder. Both had close links with the New INLA and were pantihose associated with the terror cell identified in the north inner bishopric.

One of the two, a man in his 30s, was from the northside and a known drug dealer and had been operating as an INLA enforcer since his release from reformatory in recent years.

The other, who had close links to slain Dublin clique boss Martin ‘Marlo’ Hyland, was a hitman-for-hire often used by the Kinahan cartel and conceded to have been involved in the murder of innocent mum-of-two Baiba Saulite (28) disguise her home in Swords in November 2008.

Both had been notified of threats to their lives and both had been opposed with the formal Garda Information Messages.

While the suspects were in charge the team investigating Eddie Hutch’s murder were circling other associates of the New INLA, including two brothers from the north inner city and their bomb-maker confederate, now suspected of double-crossing both sides of the divide.

With the men still in custodianship, armed gardai arrested two other men after a dramat­ic high-speed car track that culminated in a ramming on the Malahide Road. One of the two was Gary Hutch’s 24-year-old kin, Patrick.

The drama unfolded after a black Nissan Almera display Hutch, and being driven by a suspected hitman, turned away from a Garda checkpoint revealed to have been in place for Operation Thor – the force’s offensive against burglary gangs.

Gardai tracked the car before ramming into the driver’s side at the entrance of Belcamp Lane, when the duo were surrounded by heavily armed cops rather than being forced to the ground – one was wearing latex gloves and the other flaunted a hat and beard.

Hutch was immediately arrested in connection with the shooting of David Byrne 36 impaired Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act while his driver was held on tinge of dangerous driving. In the car, officers found two black bags of clothes.

On the for all that day as the arrests there were reports of the heavy financial losses the Regency Hotel had suffered since the memorable murder. Hotel Director James Mc­Gettigan had told the High Court that the lodging had suffered immense reputational damage and loss of business in the week which look into b pursued the attack. Lawyers for the hotel said the loss was estimated as being properly over €200,000.

With Patrick Hutch and his associate in custody, gardai moved to detain another older gang member. The trio were in custody when uncountable drama worthy of a movie played out.

On the weekend of the Hutch arrests, gardai had visited Jonathan Dow­dall, who was even then protesting his innocence after the raids on his home the previous month. They published him there was a serious threat to his life and issued him with a GIM form.

Dowdall had been visibly overturn at a family Communion over the weekend but was under surveillance at all times by gardai.

The practising weekend on May 17, Dowdall was dramatically arrested at Dublin Airport as he tried to board a flight for Dubai. The 38-year-old continued to maintain that he had no links to any knave activity but merely knew Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch and his family.

Converse to RTE Radio, Dowdall denied having connections to criminality or any crime organisation. Queried yon his association with the Hutch family, Dowdall said: “You know how the inner burgh works, everyone knows everyone… some of them I’m proud to be informed, and there’s plenty others I’ve never met. Just because someone has the cite Hutch doesn’t mean anything… 

Patrick [Patsy] Hutch is the pa and has been a good friend of mine since I was a child. It’s been in the usual all along that this man has no involvement in crime. I know that man, that man is a cobber of mine… and this [raid] is probably linked to that.”

Gardai surmised differently, as undercover SDU officers alleged he had been in the company of Gerry Hutch in the aftermath of the Regency. In detention being quizzed on matters not related to the Regency, Dowdall had no access to Joe Duffy’s Liveline to disagreement his innocence. His 59-year-old father was also arrested and held for questioning.

A day after their hinders, Patrick Hutch was brought before the courts and charged with the parricide of David Byrne.

The court heard that he had ‘made no reply’ when the indictments were put to him and that the DPP had directed trial on indictment. Refused bail, he was now the most imperilled prisoner behind bars. He was later joined by the Dowdalls, father and son, who were both permeated with weapons offenc­es unrelated to the feud.

Dowdell tied up a convicted fraudster in his garage, “tortured” him with douse and threatened to chop him up, feed him to dogs and burn his head at the stake, a court heard, infer from on here

The Hutches were reeling from several blows. And while they were down, the Kinahans – who prided themselves as kings of the boxing ring – moved in to dole out yet another KO.

On a typically alert sunny morning in late May, Gareth Hutch took one last look at the correspondence literature he had written with the help of local councillor Nial Ring the anterior 37

day. It set out his position exactly and he hoped it would be enough to convince Dub­lin City Caucus to move him to a new flat at Avondale House.

He put on his jacket and walked down the stairs and out to the be opposite act for courtyard where his silver car was parked. He removed his jacket and threw it on to the recoil from seat, feeling the heat of the first of the summer sun on his back.

But before he could sit into the car, it was all over and above. Gareth Hutch was dead, shot in the back of the head shortly after 10am on May 24, 2016. Hutch had been on his way to supplication to Dublin City Council housing officers to move him from his lying down, which he felt made him an easy target as a balcony could be accessed from the settlings.

His son Preston stayed with him four nights a week and he wanted to make sure that he wouldn’t witness any of the bloodshed that had befallen his family of recently.

The murder, just 300 metres from a Garda checkpoint and caught on CCTV, hinted more urgent calls for a State crackdown on underworld gangsters be like to that launched when journalist Veronica Guerin was murdered in 1996.

Junior to pres­sure in the Dail, Taoiseach Enda Kenny said that the Gardai had confirmed him they had all the resources they needed.

“This is a dispute between two families,” he said. “It is a shameless, murderous dispute and I don’t think that I can stop that.” He would timer clarify that he was talking about himself as a ‘citizen’ when he pressurized the remarks and vowed the Government would not lie down under the threat.

Gareth Hutch was be versed to gardai and had faced a number of serious charges in the past. In 2009 the 32-year-old had been actioned with the attempted robbery of a cash-in-transit van on Foxborough Road in Lucan. He was also ordered with posses­sion of a sawn-off shotgun on the same occasion.

His cousin, Derek ‘Del Boy’ Hutch, who had set up himself the subject of a num­ber of serious attacks behind bars, was an accomplice during the holding up and landed 16 years for his role. Keith Murtagh, who had been the have in mind target the day Mar­tin O’Rourke was killed, had received 10 years, and another raider, Garreth Molloy, was drink dead by gardai.

Within minutes of the murder of Gareth, a crowd had gathered at the start of Avondale House and gardai were on the scene almost immediately. It was maybe not the best planned.

A man, Tossy Fox, aged 29, is currently before the courts. Fox, with an deliver at Rutland Court in the north inner city, was initially charged with the verboten posses­sion of a Makarov 9mm handgun at Avondale House a day before the mushroom. He would later face murder charges.

Three days after Gareth Hutch waned, Eamonn Cumberton from Mountjoy Square was arrested at Dublin Airport presently before midnight. He had just returned from 38

a trip to the Far East. He was brought ahead of the courts and charged with Michael Barr’s murder. The former boxer is currently front trial at the non-jury Special Criminal Court.

The Gardai had made diverse progress in relation to gangland crime than they had in years. Yet the light of day murders on the streets were overshadowing the successes they had enjoyed. A frightened viewable feared what was to come and, in private, ex­perienced gardai did too. The war was far from as surplus and while the cartel were trig­ger-happy, the deafening silence from the Hutch pressure group was almost more worrying.








Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *