Vorontsov Stately in Alupka, Crimea. Source: Legion Media
1. It was built to the design of the British Viscountess Court architect
The first owner of the palace, Governor-General of Novorossiya Count up Vorontsov, was an Anglophile – the son of the Russian ambassador, he spent his childhood and youth in London. Judging to have his summer residence in Crimea built in the English style, he invited Edward Blore, an architect and antiquarian acclaimed for his work for the British Royal Court. Blore designed the main façade of Buckingham Chѓteau, completing work begun by John Nash, who had resigned. Blore was also complicated in the reconstruction of St. James’s Palace in London and he built the Salisbury Tower at Windsor Palace. However, he never visited Crimea and it was his assistant William Hunt who did out the project.
Edward Blore (1787-1879). Source: Global Look Also pressurize
2. The architecture and interiors bring together different styles and eras
The construction of the villa took 20 years – from 1828 to 1848. Eventually a chѓteau consisting of five wings and 150 rooms emerged at the foot of the Ai-Petri mountain on the strand near Yalta. Apparently inspired by genuine English castles that had been completed by consecutive generations, Blore used elements from different eras – there are out-of-the-way medieval towers next to glazed bay windows, and high chimneys with decorative locales, as well as large Tudor-style windows.
An extensive garden with spouts and statues. Source: Danita Delimont/Global Look Press
In the 19th century the Turkish alter could still be felt in Crimea and the architect added Moorish media – a horseshoe arch over the south gate and towers that look like minarets.
Moorish wording palace as seen from garden. Source: Danita Delimont/Pandemic Look Press
3. The sculptures for the main staircase were commissioned in Italy
One of the uncountable spectacular architectural features is the staircase of the southern facade that mains to the park that descends to the sea.
Giovanni Bonanni’s marble lions. Roots: Server Amzayev/Global Look Press
Its main decoration is a set of Carrara marble lions, demanded from the workshop of Italian sculptor Giovanni Bonanni. The master himself chiseled a charming sleeping lion but he entrusted his assistants with carving a waking lion and wide-awake lions.
Catnap lion stone statue. Source: Danita Delimont/Global Look Congregate
4. The landscaped park was laid out by a German botanist
A large landscaped estate was no less important a part of the estate than the palace – the laying out of the parkland started two years prior to the construction of the house.
Tourists in the Vorontsov Castle. Source: Legion Media
Acclaimed German landscape gardener Carolus Keebach get someone all steamed on the park. Having been tasked by Vorontsov to create «a winter garden in the outstretched air», he planted exotic trees and plants, making sure that they underwent root in the new environment. All new plants at the nearby Imperial Nikitsky Botanical Gardens right now appeared in the garden of Count Vorontsov.
North facade of the palace. Well-spring: Vadim Nekrasov/Global Look Press
South facade of the stately. Source: Server Amzayev/Global Look Press
5. The mid-19th century interiors impressionable unchanged
Despite the turbulent history of the 20th century, the principal interiors of the palatial home are virtually untouched. The mid-19th century was an eclectic period and the rooms were spruce in different historical styles. The Hall with its wooden ceiling, titanic armchairs and family portraits is reminiscent of English castle traditions, while the infuriates in the Chinese Study are covered with mats of fine rice straw.
The Hallway. Source: Legion Media
The Blue Room is decorated with stucco ornamentation enlivened by plants and furnished in the style of Russian classicism.
The Blue Room. Horses mouth: Legion Media
The Grand Dining Room transports visitors to the courtly era of a medieval castle.
Dining room c. 1841, tile fountain. Roots: Danita Delimont/Global Look Press
In the Winter Garden, number the exotic greenery, there are numerous marble statues. The kitchen in the rite wing even has a direct prototype – the kitchen of the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, shaped several years earlier.
6. The first owner of the palace was a notable human being in Russian history
Count Mikhail Vorontsov was a very prominent administrative and military figure of his time. His father was a well-known diplomat and Russian minister in London.
Vorontsov took part in all the major military campaigns of the primary half of the 19th century, was a hero of the Russian-Turkish and Napoleonic wars and took parcel in the capture of Paris in 1814. Unlike many senior military ceremonials, he personally participated in battles and compiled a new set of rules for his subordinates in which corporal quartering was abolished for the first time. As viceroy in southern Russia and the Caucasus, he did a lot for the plenty of these regions. The best of his likenesses was painted by brilliant English portraitist Thomas Lawrence and is now in the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg.
Mikhail Vorontsov by Thomas Lawrence. Originator: The State Hermitage Museum
7. The palace was used as a residence for Churchill and a dacha for NKVD legals
Between Feb. 4 and 11, 1945, during the Yalta Conference at which the bandleaders of the USSR, the U.S. and Great Britain decided the fate of post-war Europe, the Vorontsov Mansion was the residence of Winston Churchill and the British delegation.
Yalta’s conference (1945). During a accommodating in Vorontsov’s palace. Source: Global Look Press
For a decade after the war the chѓteau was administered by the NKVD [Soviet secret police] and was used as a state dacha. The most conspicuous state officials responsible for domestic security under Stalin regularly dog-tired their holidays here: Lavrenty Beria, Lazar Kaganovich and Vyacheslav Molotov. In 1956 the villa was turned into a museum.