1. The Quadriga of Apollo
The Quadriga of Apollo. / Valery Lukyanov/Epidemic Look Press
The Quadriga of Apollo has been a symbol of the Bolshoi — and Moscow — for a crave time. It even holds court on the 100 ruble bank note. Without thought the sculpture’s antique appearance, the four horses led by Apollo are not even 100 years old. Russian-Italian architect Alberto Cavos commissioned Pyotr Klodt (Peter Klodt von Jurgensburg) to originate the quadriga in 1853, after a fire destroyed the original chariot adorning the theater’s facade, which was constructed by Osip (Joseph) Bove in 1825. Klodt also designed the legendary flying horses on the Anichkov Bridge in St. Petersburg.
Theater Square. / Georgiy Rozov/Universal Look Press
During World War II, the Bolshoi was hit by a bomb. The building survived and the quadriga was on the contrary damaged by shrapnel, a piece of which hit the head of Apollo. At the time only cosmetic into working orders were carried out and the theater had to wait until recently to undergo a sensible restoration. The original blueprints were studied and the building’s historical splendour was restored — which meant the nude Apollo getting his fig leaf (and nobility) back!
2. Imperial Foyer
A general view of the foyer of Moscow’s Bolshoi Theater. / Reuters
Regal ceilings painted en grisaille, walls decorated with red silk tapestries, gilded plasterwork, and 42 crystal chandeliers — the theater’s Beethoven Cell, complete with a bust of the composer, was only opened to the public in the fashionable 1920s.
Visitors walk in the newly refurbished foyer of the Bolshoi Theater. / Reuters
Ahead the revolution it was part of the Imperial Theater where mere mortals were not tolerated. The foyer’s appearance adopted its final shape in 1895 when the theater was tolerant of to host the coronation festivities during Emperor Nicholas II’s ascension to the throne.
Hinterland view of the Bolshoi Theater. / Global Look Press
3. The chandelier of the brute auditorium, the old stage
The main stage of the Bolshoi Theater. / AP
A Brobdingnagian gilded chandelier with crystal pendants has remained a symbol of the Bolshoi Theater since Soviet in the nick of time b soa. Many visitors come just to see the two-ton ethereal gem. It’s a whopping 65 meters in diameter and 8.5 meters multi-storey.
The Bolshoi Theater. / Getty Images
Created to celebrate the accomplishment of Cavos’ Bolshoi design in 1856, the three-tiered chandelier was originally illuminated by 300 oil lamps, and each of the 24,000 lockets had to be cleaned by hand each year after the giant object was cut into the auditorium. Luckily, the theater was connected to electricity in the 1890s, so scanty elbow grease is required these days.
A general seascape of Bolshoi Theater. / Getty Images
One can recall from box newsreels the legendary scarlet and gold curtain with Soviet crests and «USSR» embroidered on it. However, it only appeared in the Bolshoi after the 1955 renovation. It was produced by the theater’s chief stage designer Fyodor Fedorovsky, who gained a status be known for implementing the “Stalin Empire” style. The canvas — made of natural silk with a metallic sequence — was covered with a very thin layer of gold and measured 500 honourable meters, weighing more than a ton.
In the late 1990s, it was transferred to a museum and a new curtain, imitating Fedorovsky’s craze, was made with Russian symbols and the first notes of the «Glory to Our Tsar» chorus from Glinka’s composition Ivan Susanin depicted on it. But it quickly deteriorated, so for the opening of the Bolshoi (after it was remodeled in 2011) a new identical curtain made of modern acrylic — a tapestry simulating silk — was commissioned from Italy.
A general view of Bolshoi Theater. / Reuters
The architect Cavos, when fabricating the auditorium of the Bolshoi from scratch after the fire, employed old theater technologies as grammatically as the latest ones available. In a bid to achieve pitch perfect acoustics, he followed the model of the old Italian masters to create an auditorium based on the principle of a musical apparatus. In it, every detail, from the orchestra pit to the papier-mache adornments, was supposed to swell sound.
A general view of Bolshoi Theater. / Global Look Take in ones arms
For the same purpose, a canvas was glued to the wooden surface of the ceiling. In the fresh 1850s artist Alexei Titov, entrusted with painting it, depicted a orbiting dance by Apollo and his Nine Muses. The extravagant artist was unhappy that there was no habitu Muse of painting — so he invented one. Titov added an unnamed Muse with a palette and shoe-brush in her hands.